Wednesday, 8 April 2009




I feel slightly reluctant about starting a blog, and at the moment the writing feels very awkward and self-conscious, but I have decided that it will motivate me to work harder.

I spent a couple of days visiting London recently and my boyfriend took me to Forbidden Planet, which was very exciting for me, never having been in a comic book shop before (despite writing my dissertation on "Social Commentary within the Graphic Novel Genre"). I bought home with me a 50p book on Joe Sacco (his graphic novel Palestine was a big eye-opener for me) and Jeffrey Brown's "Miniature Sulk" (captivated by the name...being prone to miniature sulks myself) and more and more I'm wanting to make my own comic books.

(He also took me to Dungeness which was sunny and otherworldly, and a perfect place for black and white photography.)


Here are some things I've been working on recently (click to enlarge):

An image for the Quote Book (published annually by University College Falmouth) to illustrate the quote "A gentleman is simply a patient wolf" - Lana Turner.



And a couple of images for a double page broadsheet editorial on films adapted from books.


(left to right: Sophia Coppola, Jean-Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut)

(Akira Kurosawa and Stanley Kubrick)

No comments: