Friday, 29 July 2011

"Nowhere you can go is more peaceful than your own soul" - Marcus Aurelius

I like the idea of snails being low and ugly creatures, but having somewhere beautiful and sacred to retreat into. Marcus Aurelius said: "People try to get away from it all - to the country, to the beach, to the mountains. Which is idiotic: you can get away from it any time you like. By going within".
The temple in this illustration looks a bit like a dragons face - it is based on the wats of Thailand. I was lucky enough to visit Phuket a couple of years ago and see a few of these beautiful temples for myself:


5 comments:

Annarack said...

I LOVE this illustration, you should make prints of this. I would buy it. Are you going to do a series of snail homes. That would be lovely :)

Emma Ridgway said...

Thankyou so much for your kind comments! :) I'm setting up a shop very shortly, and the snail illustrations will be available as prints! xx

Emma Ridgway said...

PS: I had a peek at your blog - gorgeous work! :)

Annarack said...

Thank you so much. I cannot wait to see your shop. You are one of my favourite illustrators now.

Pillows for the People said...

totally amazing...