Tuesday, 20 September 2011

And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually


My Dad asked me if I'd make him a portrait of Jimi Hendrix.

I've liked his music for a long time, but I didn't know much about his life, so I watched this documentary while making the drawing ("Jimi Hendrix: The Uncut Story"). His family and friends are interviewed, and while there is a tendency for people to elevate him into a prophet-like figure, its really insightful about the meaning behind many of the lyrics of his songs, and about his early life. He had a really difficult life, but he was also incredibly talented - able to play the guitar upside down and back to front, as well as playing songs backwards, by ear. I felt quite sad by the end of it all, but it made me start listening to his music again.

No comments: