Tuesday, 18 October 2011

you-kulele, me-kulele





I've begun to learn the ukulele and because its swiftly becoming my new obsession I decided to make a little information book covering the history of this petite instrument, its ancestor the Portuguese cavaquinho, its close relatives, its place in Hawaiian culture, the basic chords, strumming technique, its popularity during the 1920s with stars like Buster Keaton...but I only got as far as its name: "ukulele" (Hawaiian for "jumping flea") and got so distracted by this little piece of information that instead of the planned information book, I have a little narrative developing, about the peculiar life of a Jazz-age, Gregor Samsa-ish, parasitic beastie.

1 comment:

Becca Illustration said...

Emma! All your work is looking so stunning! :-) I love the cover of your little ukelele book, and the figure in the other post..and your comic! hope lots of people are getting to see it too...oh and thank u for your post on my blog :) x