Monday, 3 November 2014

To have faith is to trust yourself to the water - Alan Watts


















My collage made using illustrations and photographs from the British Library's collection of public domain images is nearing its completion.

I worked through 300 pages of the collection (barely making a dent on it's total 10,212 pages) picking out any images which intrigued me. As I began to add images to the hexagons, I would make connections with other images, or find ways to manipulate and change them. Since nearly all of the images in the collection are black and white, I also added colour and adjusted the levels to suit my own purpose. Many of the images become visual metaphors, express feelings, or suggest part of a narrative.

The collage is A1-sized and comprised of 63 hexagons, inspired by Jorge Luis Borges' Library of Babel.

No comments: